Friday, October 17, 2008

more than words

Last night my heart was broken into a million sweet, joyous little pieces.

Sean, Aiden and I went out for dinner at Olive Garden. While we were eating dinner a hostess came over to our table to talk to Aiden. Sean had just told Aiden that he had to eat the food on his plate before he could have anything more. The hostess asked Aiden, "Are you and your daddy having a discussion?" That one word filled my heart with an incredible amount of joy. My son has never had a daddy and I have never heard anyone ask him/talk to him about his daddy. Everyone around us knows the circumstances of our lives and is therefore very cautious and respectful, meaning that word does not come up. But God is changing our lives. I know that God is telling me that He has chosen Sean to be Aiden's daddy and to hear that dream put into words (even by a complete stranger) for the first time was amazing. It makes the waiting that much more sweet.

That is not the end of the story. When we got home it was time for Aiden to go to bed. On our Bible study nights Sean helps with the regular "going to bed routine" by reading Aiden his Bible story and praying with us. As we turned out the lights I heard my son say for the first time, "Love you Sean, love you!" It was at that moment that my heart broke, overfilled with joy and no longer able to hold it all in. Our God is so good! Aiden will tell me he loves me as long as I say it first which is fine with me. He has never said it to anyone without someone's encouragement ("Tell [insert name here] you love him/her."). Last night no encouragement was necessary.

How great is our God?

No comments: